Page 91

OOOOH DRAMAAS.

Alistair’s hair got way too long here. It’s not supposed to be that long. I have problems with controlling the way I draw a character’s hair; it tends to kinda get huge over the course of a comic. Right now I’m drawing a comic with a character who has curly hair, and every time I draw that hair, I check and double check my reference to make sure it’s not too huge. But I’m sure it’s going to fluctuate wildly over the course of the comic anyway. :P

1. Jamie says:

I haven’t commented yet but I’ve been reading for a while now and I love this comic! I wasn’t homeschooled but I totally relate to Maggie in so many other ways. She’s a really great, well-developed character.

Also, speaking as a curly-haired girl, curly hair fluctuates wildly in size IRL so it’s totally fine if it does it in a comic.

2. AsimovSideburns says:

Panel three I’m like, “There gonna start snapping, and then it’ll be sharks v. jets all over again.”

I’m still not sure if I liked that movie or not…

3. Vanessa says:

Love the lighting, especially on panel 2! The long shadows are a great pointer to panel 3.

4. Vinca5 says:

And meaningful glances were exchanged.

5. snapdragon76 says:

Are we gonna have a flashback to when Alistair was still a member of the volleyball team? I kinda wanna see what he looked like before his mohawk. Not that his mohawk isn’t totally awesome, of course.

The heterosexual part of me is expecting some kind of romance to develop here between Alistair and Maggie, but the nonheterosexual me is expecting another kind to develop between her and Lucy.

Of course the non-het part is also wondering what all this simmering tension is with Alistair and, apparently, half the volleyball team.

• Kat says:

I’ve been betting that the mohawk is the remains of some volleyball team prank on Alistair that mortally offended him into quitting the team and hating all of his former friends. I’m probably totally wrong – I usually am.

Oh dear, the simmering subtext was REALLY unintentional, but I’m kind of thrilled people are thinking of that, since I think a true sign of comic success is when people start slashing your characters … XD

7. Welllensittich says:

I really love that you simply take the time to show hints and feelings. Nothing much happens on this page, yet so much is being said without words, you couldn’t describe it in two full pages written. Great work!

Thanks very much! I like drawing emotional scenes. It’s hard getting expressions just right, but when it really works out, it’s awesome.

8. Ara says:

So many heavy silences, so many dirty looks…I’m chomping at the bit to know Alistair’s past!