This scene is apparently my webmaster Lissa’s favourite scene. Hi Lissa! Lissa has been a fantastic help to keep the Friends With Boys site up and running, and I wanted to point out that she’s awesome. :)

1. Kat says:

What I like about this page, is how it demonstrates a fundamental truth about Real Life(tm) – no matter how important whatever-it-is-you’re-doing may seem to you, everybody else around you is also living out their own storylines, which are equally important to them. Thus, what seems to Maggie and Daniel to be a simple request to ninja up, suddenly becomes a completely different discussion as far as the twins are concerned. We forget that a lot. I mean, we SAY we know it, but we don’t live as if we do.

• SeraphL says:

Also, Side-Characters With Depth! Maggie may be our protagonist, but the twins are people too. Makes a nice change to see a story where everyone you meet is a rounded out person :)

• staticgirl says:

That’s so very true…

Yes, exactly! My editor put it best when we were working through this part of the story: every character thinks they are the main character. And she’s totally right. Everyone should have a life outside of the main character, they shouldn’t exist just to support the MC’s story.

2. Sye says:

Aww, this is a very sweet scene.

3. vislaava says:

Hi!
    You are making me happy with this story so I thought to share something I love with you.
    This is a Finnish Rock-band called Von Hertzen Brothers (they are three annoyingly talented brothers). This song makes me feel good.

4. Gemma says:

I love this scene too! Poor twins. We’re starting to understand.. m… :) But where is the ghost now? She’s intrigued me a lot!

5. Hanna says:

I love how the twins are such separate characters! They look different and have such different personalities. I forget they are twins, sometimes. Hoping for more of them!

6. Nicole says:

I’ve seen this happen to twins. It was pretty horrible. The one started just outrightly insulting the other one in front of our whole class in an effort to separate. School is so cold.

7. M says:

I am a twin and this has been a problem for me and my sister. She seemed to be more bothered about it than I was, because she always thought I was ‘smarter’ or ‘better’ in some way when actually we’re just different and good at different things. I don’t like it when people say ‘where’s your other half?’, because 1) she isn’t and 2) just because we’re twins doesn’t mean I always know where she is. People seem to find it strange or ‘funny’ that we’re interested in different things. The truth is, we’re only identical in genetics and (somewhat) outward appearance. I don’t see why people have this expectation based on that.

But while we’ve been through the ‘trying to be different’ stage, the truth is that we’ve been so close that we’ve never really needed to communicate things to each other verbally. Now we’re older (20+), that’s become something important. This scene reminds me of that when he goes “I miss you man”. My sister once said to me, ‘Just because we’re twins doesn’t mean we’re close’, which was an awful blow because the truth is, we’ve shared 90% of our lives. Whether she likes it or not, I am the only person who will understand her better than anyone else.

Now we’re past that and are working out what it’s like to ‘screw the stereotype’ and just hang out.

I like that you’ve added this extra dimension to the story, I’m quite excited to see what follows (:

(Sorry for the long story, I just thought it’d be helpful to share my perspective (: )

8. Karine says:

I want to hug them both. Faith, you win so much at expressions and acting and writing.

9. Stephanie says:

This is just like me and my twin when we were back in highschool. She would even dye her hair so it was a different color.
    Luckily, that’s all behind us now. :)

Good scene.

10. Lissa says:

Eep – public shout out! Thanks, Faith – you’re too kind :D This and the following page are indeed my favourite; you do such a great job giving a lot of depth to side characters even with such limited page time compared to the others. It’s fantastic! I’m eager to read the comments for tomorrow’s cuteness ^^

11. Granjero says:

I read your entire strip today. Great art but excellent story. Just thought I’d say.