Well, now we know why Lucy called Alistair a jerk back before the museum visit. He is a jerk. Or was. (We’ll see.) Anyway, drunk Alistair is very amusing to me despite his guilt. Since he’s in grade 12, I’d peg his age at around 17, so clearly he should not be drinking (even in Canada, the drinking age is 19, 18 in Quebec, which was very exciting for high school students of a certain age going on class trips to francophone-land. Ahh, good times) and does not know how to handle his liquor. Funnily enough, the comic I’m currently working on ALSO has underage drinking, although I didn’t write the story for it. Sympatico!

In other exciting news, I recieved my comp copies of Friends With Boys last Friday! Yes, the comic you are reading in digital form now exists in book form, and it is very very pretty (hopefully someday soon you will want to own a copy). It’s always so surreal when I get the book form of a graphic novel I’ve drawn. It’s both so exciting and fullfilling and completely anticlimatic. A weird mix of “MY PRECIOUS BABY!!!!” and “… oh yeah, this thing.” I can’t even begin to explain it. I think it’s just the fact that drawing comics takes so damn long, and also the physical thing is so different from the drawn thing … it’s very weird. But it’s a lovely book, and I’m so happy with it. I have some pictures! So click the link to take a look:

Copies of Friends With Boys! In a box! I was actually a little terrified, opening it. Would it look okay?

I like the size of the First Second books. They’re slightly larger than the size of Viz’s Signature line of manga, and I really like how those books are packaged. You feel like you’re buying something substantial. Friends With Boys also has french flaps, like the Viz books.

Here’s the interior. It was my first time working with panels that bleed, and I like the effect. It’s the Urasawa influence. I really like the way he lays out his pages and uses his space; I want to compose comics like him.

Ahh, my name above the title. Feels good.

The scene at the Oxford. Again, the bleeds look nice, which is a relief. Always so nerve wracking, trying new things specific for print, and not knowing how they’ll turn out.

Here are some of the extras in the back of the book, mostly character design sketches. My handwriting, so ugly.

And the spine. Nice and thick. A good night’s reading, there!

1. Ada says:

The legal age is 18 in Alberta too! *ahem* I’m loving the story so far! :)

I did not know that. But as a Canadian from Ontario, I generally know nothing about Alberta. :D

• Ada says:

Hah, fair enough. The only reason I knew the drinking age in Ontario is 19 is because I visited some friends out there while I was still 18. As you can imagine, I was very disappointed to suddenly lose my newly-acquired status. :-P

• kdmw says:

It’s 18 in Manitoba as well. Growing up in Saskatchewan, we could make a trip to either bordering province. Then I moved to Ottawa for school, which is convinently very close to Quebec!

2. Ghost Girl says:

Those books look amazing.

You have no idea how badly I want one. Hopefully I’ll have monies when they’re available.

3. Congratulations! I can’t wait for my own copy.

4. brytning says:

The other day walking home from class I saw a guy with a mohawk and my first thought was, “Hey! That guy has Alistair’s haircut!” That’s how pervasive your work is in my little world.

And congrats on the books!

5. snapdragon76 says:

I’m looking forward to getting my copy!!

Are the pages flipped like in manga? It looks like they are.

Oh god, no! Why would anyone flip a book drawn and written in English? The reason manga reads right to left is because that’s the way the Japanese language is written. Only stupid pretend manga publishers trying to capitalize on its popularity publish flipped English-drawn “manga.” Seriously, HUGE pet peeve. An absolutely moronic trend. >_<

• Ryorin says:

I believe the reason publisher-that-shall-not-be-named gave was that they wanted it to be feasible to export their comics to Japan…which, yeah, is a really stupid, unrealistic reason to do that.

• Greg Carter says:

Serious pet peeve of mine too. Sherrilyn Kenyon’s The Dark-Hunters “manga” is made right-to-left. Her website said it’s because she’s such an otaku it had to be “authentic”. I find the idea hugely pretentious and dumb. That said, I still enjoyed the comics. Not gonna let something that silly keep me from a good story!

Yes, that was the exact comic I was thinking of! Saw it at the library and was like “WTF why is this right to left?” Really dumb. I don’t care if she’s an “otaku” or whatever, it’s NOT “authentic” manga or whatever people want to feed into with that nonsense. Comics are comics. Don’t get hung up on something reading a certain way, that’s really silly. Urgh.

• snapdragon76 says:

Oh my, My apologies for treading on a sore subject. It was hard to tell based on the pictures though.

For the record, I do tend to agree.

6. Ryorin says:

Super-shiny! How much will it be and will it be available in any stores or just via order?

7. Tara says:

Woo!! The book looks so awesome, Faith! :)

8. Mandie says:

I LOVE Alistair’s face in the second panel. It captures the emotion really well.

The book looks big! Or perhaps I just have big hands and am not very good at judging the size of things looking at other people’s hands. I’m not sure how big the signature line of manga is, either. What’s the height and width in of the book in, like, inches? lol

Today, while contemplating life and junk, I decided I need to ask you what kind of digital tablet you use. Ehem. What kind of tablet do you use? :)

9. sprocket says:

Absolutely awesome. My dad is a published author with various self-published projects in the mix. It’s always an amazing feeling to have the results of your work bound and in-hand.

10. Morgan says:

I have already pre-ordered my copy from Amazon, just so you know! :)

11. SeraphL says:

Just you wait until I have Christmas money. That copy shall be MINE!!! Mwahahaaa…

12. AsimovSideburns says:

Officially added to my Christmas list. If I do get it, it will be the FIRST EVER webcomic I buy a book of.

Not my first graphic novel (I have all 15 Mär books and some HunterXHunter books), but the first that I bought because, even though I could view it for free, I HAD to own it.

• AsimovSideburns says:

Also, I was wondering, would it be possible to get a signed copy? I don’t know if you do that, or just for preorders or whatever, but I thought I’d ask.

Oh Alistair. I guess it’s a good thing Matt’s house isn’t next door to a tattoo parlor.

Just waiting for my copy to ship now…

14. Abu says:

I feel really bad for having started reading your comic only yesterday. It is very very pretty. And I love your way with the pacing. Very manga-ish, yet very different. It’s inspiring. =)

Thank you. I’m very inspired by manga in terms of storytelling technique, but I try to make my art look different and uniquely mine.

15. terrible_t says:

/ho-damn/ @____@

That book is so big and shiny. I can’t wait until Feb! (already have mine on pre-order, too!)

16. Erin says:

Oh man I can’t wait till they’re available to buy! I’m going to harass my comic store guys so much to order some copies in! :D

17. Luke says:

I Pre ordered a copy a few days ago. I don’t know how many uk orders your going to get but i can say at least 1 (drinking ages is 18 here too altho that doesn’t really stop alot of people)
    p.s Loving the your stories and illustrations.

18. Simon says:

Make that at least 2 UK orders. Have read since referred from a blog post on Jackie Rose and am enjoying this immensely.